Monday, July 12, 2010

The different spectrum of life

So.. i was back in KL for 24hrs and off to fly off to Calcutta (Kolkata). Had loaded up on all my favorite food (McChicken, pisang goreng, cempedak goreng, yong tau foo, nasi lemak, nasi briyani and goodies from Japan), let mum have a glimpse of my very tanned self and got sent off to Calcutta by my lovely cousin and sista.
Long Q to check in as AirAsia have it system maintenance. I'm not sure why but my guts told me there is a possibility of flight being delayed.
True enough, after waiting in futile for boarding call, they announced that flight delayed till 2.55pm (actual flight  - 2.30pm).
Greaaattt... gonna arrived India in the early evening. Not really keen on it. Dun wanna be a victim of touts in a new country.

With all the travelers that i met and have their fare share of experience in India. I think, i am well prepared. Also the book - Shantaram, help me loads. Thank you friends!

Nevertheless, i am still excited and scared at the same time.

But i am very lucky to have met 3 other travelers on board. We were heading to the backpacker street - Sudder Street and that gave us a very good hand at bargaining for a taxi to town.



First official day in India.
Well, i never thought i will surrender myself and volunteer at Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity. Just go with the flow....So i went with my Irish and Hong Kie friend to the briefing.
I start tomorrow doing the afternoon shifts from 3pm-5.30pm till Sunday.
I chose to care for the destitute s in Khalighat.
Its a new challenge. I will embrace this lifetime experience.

Walking through the streets towards Mother's house, i devoured myself with the life of Indians here.
Have you seen those rickshaw man? They practically pull you around town BAREFOOT!
Its not the best transport to take but there's still business. Some would pull 3 adults in one rickshaw.


Then again its not the rickshaw that we saw on TV. They have big round wheels. Big as in the height slightly above my waist! So you could see the passengers sat so high up there.
I would love to have a view atop that rickshaw.

Communal water taps (those that ceased to appear in developed country) gawked at me.
Brotherhood bathing in the public with their dothi. I so wanted to take a picture but its rude isn't it?
The small jam packed alleys and more smaller than ever a shop next to the staircase still is a business to the locals.
All space upfront is of many different shops fighting for your attention.
Buses.... they are colorful and creative. Emergency door became emergency gate and driver door is still driver door. Fascinating...
Am not sure if i could get this all in. Its so amazing!

Bought my first dozen of bangles! ITS RAD!

Can't wait for tomorrow. To balance up my Karma.







An excerpt i stumble upon during my bisy body self.


For a minute, i thought of the person who put this up.
Then again, its all history and i will not let it affect my holiday.
I won't deny that its not part of Mich Odyssey.
Nevertheless, the unpublished posts deleted, the stories not told and not to be mentioned ever again. The truth will one day triumphs all.
Life goes on for me.
Life, in fact, is bitter-sweet isn't it?
That's why i love dark chocolate.

Till my next posts... i hope i could pen down all my experience volunteering here in Calcutta under Mother Teresa's vocation.. .

No comments:

Post a Comment

May I have your name?